- We know that in modern life, almost at all times and especially in the summer season or winter sports, mountaineering, riding, swimming, boating, etc.. we live much more in daily contact with the sun and its radiation, especially in a country like ours where the sun almost always shines brightly for many hours ...
- Fortunately the atmosphere naturally protects us from solar radiation effect (invisible rays, infrared and ultraviolet) personal variations known to exist (some pigmented skins for example). It is also true that often use more than ever, creams and lotions sunscreen, more or less effective, combining protective factors in varying degrees, lest we burn the skin and to be more comfortably exposed to harsh outdoor and sun. The hole in the ozone layer is not a publicity stunt ... (In Spain layer has decreased 10% according to the National Institute of Aerospace)
- But what about the eyes? Do we really know that almost all structures of the organ of vision may suffer the harmful effects of solar radiation, especially ulltravioletas ray spectrum, able to act even on cloudy days?
- Infrared rays are responsible for senile cataract known or glazier. visible radiation can cause retinal damage, glare, poor night vision, etc.. The rays are not visible, produce cataracts and other serious injuries:
- Ultraviolet B wavelength 280-315 nm: absorption in the cornea
- Ultraviolet A 315-380 nm Wavelength Absorption in cornea and lens
Thus, from skin burns and degenerative lesions of the delicate skin of the eyelids, up to the central retina or macula your can damage your eyes frequently. May appear grayish-yellowish spots on the eyelids or the condition called palm (using its path), growing tissue in the conjunctiva stimulated by the sun or its radiations, or in the transparent or even cornea over the pupil. The eyepiece lens or more easily develop cataracts known and may even appear more serious injury attributed to the sun and that affects the central retina or macula in, leading to the dreaded maculopathy which causes the loss of central vision.
What do we do?
As there is no filtering put creams or lotions on the eyes, we resort to the use of sunglasses to bring comfort to excess light, and, although we are not as aware of ELLP, protection against damages cause puden solar filings. Definitely a sunscreen lens is a filter, ie should moderate or prevent the passage of unequal amounts of the different radiations, being of full protection against the harmful UV.
But just as there are good and bad creams or if you will, effective or not, so with sunglasses. We should note the following:
- The sun glasses are not only a decorative or fashion or simply comfort against sunlight. The aesthetic factor, logical, usually affects only the spectacle frame.
- The sunglass should be chosen primarily because we needed specific filters proportions to the sun's ultraviolet spectrum.
- A sunglass without anti UV filters to restrict the total amount of light reaching the eye, produces a large pupillary dilation and thus increases the entry into the eye from UV dalñinos and therefore the appearance of serious damage and irreversible (false protection)
- Must be appropriate to the preferential use that will give them either beach, mountain, sport, driving, etc.
- It is dangerous to use the acquired Sunglasses anywhere, store or dime, therefore without any guarantee with filter and protective efficacy.
- Recall that sunglass is an optical-scientist very picky about lenses and that each person according to his ability and visual status, age, and use pertenda give your sunglasses, has specific needs and different cover.
- Therefore they should be used sunglasses with guaranteed maximum absorption filters with a transmission in the area marked green, yellow and red.
- In elderly, should desecharse particularmetne blue filters or similar color.
- The lenses must be perfectly transparent, with no defects or body size, with perfect transmission of visible light without changing the color and eliminate ultraviolet be optically neutral, have scratch resistance, and impact rupture.
- The sunglass lenses must wear corrective solar when the user's need.
- Do not wear sunglasses for driving at night and especially are contraindicated if you absorb more than 20% light
IN SUMMARY: A sunscreen poorly chosen, not only ineffective, but can be highly harmful.